start small, end big
It doesn’t make sense to try to be the best from the beginning. Every project works with small steps at a time. Beginning with the bare minimum and gradually building extra blocks until you can be assured your info is worth your readers’ time.
LaserBeaver will try to build a 40W lasercutter with the following features:
- Laser power 40 Watt
- Bed size (usable cutting space) approximately 610x310mm
- Automatic up/down table with auto focus.
- Air assist and red dot laser positioning
- Efficient and preferably closed loop water cooling system.
- Fume extraction
- PPI cutting as well as regular cutting and engraving
- Custom firmware running on Arduino DUE (and maybe later regular ARM M3 cpu)
- Host software running on a multitude of operating systems
Because engraving in high resolution is not always simple with a co2 (larger power, difficult way to set accurate powers and the by nature relatively large single dot size of a co2 laser) the LaserBeaver cutter will over time also get an extra laser head built in.
This head will be a 405nm laser diode capable of the absolute finest engraving possible in that price class, but it will come at the cost of speed. For patient people full greyscale engraving will be available.
The future looks promising…
If you liked this article, then please support us. Not by paying money, because we don’t need money, but it would be great if you subscribed to our mailing list so we can build a large community.