In the video below, you can see the basics how CoreXY work. This video comes from the website www.corexy.com
In the CoreXY world, not everything is perfect. Because of the way the belts work, it adds some complexity to the motion system.
If you observe the video above carefully, then you’ll see that the gantry moves based on motor rotation, but in a special way.
If the left motor turns counterclockwise (ccw) and the right one also counterclockwise, then the laser head would move to the left.
There are some different combinations here.
- Left motor CCW , right motor CCW ⇒ Laser head goes to the left
- Left motor CW, right motor CW ⇒ Laser head goes to the right
- Left motor CCW , right motor CW ⇒ Laser head goes up (towards the motors)
- Lest motor CW and right motor CCW ⇒ Laser head goes down
Wait a minute, those are 4 movements in horizontal and vertical direction. What about diagonal? Here is where the fun begins with 4 additional combinations
- Left motor CCW and right motor stopped ⇒ head moves diagonally to upper left corner
- Left motor CW and right motor stopped ⇒ head moves diagonally to lower right corner
- Left motor stopped and right motor CCW ⇒ head moves diagonally to lower left corner
- Left motor stopped and right motor CW ⇒ head moves diagonally to upper right corner.
Sounds strange? Well those are the 8 basic movements. In between there are a lot more possibilities, but that is information which I’ll write in another blogpost when the coreXY firmware will be made.
If you liked this article, then please support us. Not by paying money, because we don’t need money, but it would be great if you subscribed to our mailing list so we can build a large community.